A Picture: A Life’s Before & After Moment #EdublogsClub Prompt 4

A picture is worth a thousand words. I might be thinking about this totally incorrectly, but this is the first picture that popped into my head when I read the prompt. It’s a picture that has totally defined my life into a before and after moment in time. That’s my daughter’s car under the semi. Before I go any further, she is beautifully alive and doing very well, all things considered. It was the Tuesday after she graduated with her MBA and she was leaving a job interview. She was telling me all about it when the semi pulled out in front of her and she had no time to stop. Thankfully she doesn’t remember it, but I know she saw it pull out in front of her because of what she said, and then I heard it. She was about an hour away from home, and for about 45 minutes I didn’t know if I’d lost her or not. The connection was still alive, but I had to break it to call her girlfriend to go find her and then call 911. Her girlfriend got there as they were cutting the driver side door off. Apparently as the door came off, my daughter became conscious, woke up in shock, and started running away from the accident. As she was fleeing the scene, she was fighting like she was running from a prison break and swearing like it too (which I understand is common for shock victims.) They had to sedate her to transport her so she was intubated when I first saw her. She was transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital, then life-flighted to a bigger city hospital.

Seatbelts are sexy and my daughter ALWAYS buckles up. It most definitely saved her life. She was able to leave the hospital the next day with a concussion, a fractured nose and several scrapes and bruises. She’s still finding glass working its way out of her finger.

It was a couple of months before she even wanted to try to drive again. She only recently bought a car because she got a job a couple of hours from home. She bought one with a super safety rating and sits up higher than her Infinity did. Loud noises in a car upset her. Semis driving close by make any of us jumpy. I’m not sure what normal is anymore. My daughter swears my dad had his arms around her during the wreck. I believe her.

So what does this picture have to do with an educational blog? Well, I came to this school year with a new mind set. I try to have more fun at school now. I have an advisory and I used to work through the entire 30 minutes. Now I sit and visit with my students. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my students. Additionally, I have classes where I have students for multiple years. I’m working on developing better relationships with those students. I try to find more to laugh at in class. However, as I work to develop the positive relationships, I find that I have less patience or tolerance for the slackers. Is that attributed to my advanced experience (age!) or my new attitude? I don’t know. But I can really feel that fuse getting shorter. I don’t think it has anything to do with my new attitude either. Students and parents are different from when I started 25 years ago. But that’s for another time….

2 thoughts on “A Picture: A Life’s Before & After Moment #EdublogsClub Prompt 4

1. Thank you so much for sharing. Events like these never make any sense. Insightful comment about your fuse getting shorter while you are developing stronger relationships with your students. I guess we are always hardest on the ones that we love.