Hello World! My Blog Story #EdublogsClub Prompt 1

I love the default title of the first post…”Hello World!” Hello World is usually a programmer’s first program, so it’s fitting that “Hello World” is the name of my first blog post on Cranmer Candor. Now to be totally candid (ha), it’s not technically my first blog post. I’ve started a blog a couple of times, but I have never stuck with it. I wouldn’t call myself a newbie blogger, but I’m certainly not an experienced veteran. I would consider myself in between, but definitely closer to a beginner than a veteran.

I used to have a favorite blog, but she stopped writing it. I was crushed. I can’t say that I regularly read any blogs at the current time. I don’t feel like I have the time. When school is in session, I don’t even have time to read the daily newspaper until the weekend.

My goal for the #EdublogsClub is to try to get in the habit of weekly blog posting. I think I would like to write a blog, although I’m not sure I want it to be just an educational blog. I mean, I’m so full of it, why should I limit myself? Although, as I do write “educational” posts, I hope to contribute something useful for my daughter and my nephew who are new teachers this year. I’m also trying to stay positive about education for my family. My inner-voices argue back and forth wildly:  “I’m so happy they are teachers!” to “Why did I let them go into teaching?*

If I didn’t blog on education, some of my other blogs might be about DIY, humor, fitness (or trying to be fit), dieting (or trying to diet), single motherhood, glampers, dating (or trying to date), Pokemon Go, and/or local politics.

*I decided I needed to elaborate on this when I was taking a shower…where I do a lot of my best thinking. I’m a public school teacher in Kansas. I wrote this after watching Governor Brownback’s State of the State address. If you don’t know anything about the state of affairs in Kansas, let me tell you quite simply: it sucks. Tonight the Gov continued to be in his fairy tale land where he thinks everything is wonderful and working with his tax policies. He talked about how he was going to draft new education legislation that uses “accountability!” (teacher merit pay-boo) He’s also going to figure out an easy and fair school finance formula. The one we had, which he scrapped 2 years ago for unconstitutional block grants, was fine…when it was properly funded. It was never properly funded!!

AND, since this is an educational blog, not currently a political one, I will leave off right here.

6 thoughts on “Hello World! My Blog Story #EdublogsClub Prompt 1

1. Welcome to the Edublogs Club!

I think the club is a great way to get into the habit of weekly posting. It also takes the pressure of deciding on what you want to blog about while you develop the blogging habit.

I’m going for a reasonably in between blogger! You have quite a developed blogging voice that comes through in your post.

@suewaters

2. Welcome to the club! I really enjoyed reading your first post to the challenge and the political rant at the end! I didn’t feel you needed to stop yourself and I enjoyed reading your take on the state of educational affairs in Kansas. I look forward to reading more of what you have to say and I wish I could figure out how to easily follow an Edublogs blog. I like when I see the “Subscribe” or “Follow” button. Does that exist on the Edublogs platform? I figure it must if Edublogs is related in WordPress in some way as I think it may be. Anyway, in case you missed my 1st post you can find it at http://www.mrsruiz.net 🙂

• Hi Melanie

The Follow you see on WordPress.com is designed to be used for sites hosted on WordPress.com

We have Follow but it is specific to Edublogs users as it uses the Edublogs Reader. Users can set up Subscribe by email and add an email subscription widget.

The most efficient way to keep up with reading your favorite blogs is to subscribe to them in a feed reader like Feedly. Feedly uses their RSS feed so isn’t platform specific so it would enable you to subscribe to posts from blogger, WordPress, Edublogs etc. You can read more here – http://help.edublogs.org/introduction-to-rss-and-subscribing-using-rss/

• Thanks for the tip Sue…I was trying to figure out a widget to use, but then I got distracted. That happens a lot!! I will try to figure it out this weekend. We are supposed to a nice ice storm so I’m planning on hunkering down with the family!! TGIF!!